Fort Oswego 1722
1 – Fort Oswego: First British fort at Oswego started as a trading post in 1722 on the West bank of river, First and Lake Street, Oswego. In the summer of 1724, to counter Magazin Royal (Joncaire’s Blockhouse) at Niagara, New Yorker’s under orders of Governor Burnet, established a fort and trading post at the mouth of the Oswego River on Lake Ontario. 1724 it was a blockhouse, 1727 a 4 foot thick stone stone walled building with galleries (sometimes called Fort Burnet for Governor William Burnet). In 1741-3 work was started on a stone wall around the trading post with bastions or blockhouses in each corner (called Fort Pepperrell in the 1740’s). Later the British built Ontario and George in 1755. All three were destroyed by Montcalm (French) in 1755. (The French referred to this site as Fort Chouaguen) Only Ontario was rebuilt in 1756.